Great! You've taken the first step.
Welcome to BTIB’s School Leavers Program. We want to help school leavers or young people with the mindset of success, giving you the choice to explore business opportunities and consider being your own boss. You deserve to be given the tools to pursue your dreams. It is for individuals wanting to know more about how to start up a business, and what becoming self-employed involves.
There will be experienced business owners who were once in a similar situation debating whether self-employment was for them. There are many considerations to be made when boarding on the path to being a business owner and this course will enable you to thoroughly explore all aspects of this, whilst assisting you to make that decision whether self-employment is for you.
The following is an outline of the Training Program we want to deliver.
What will you learn?
Through the School Leavers Program, you will learn:
- how to gain knowledge, skills and explore what it means to own your business
- how to build your business idea and understand if it will work or not
- how to develop a business plan how to start a business and learn what is required
- what comes next once you get going
- how to be your own boss by learning from other business owners and their experiences
- understanding the advantages and disadvantages of being self-employed
- develop understanding of starting up a business – defining a business owners responsibilities
- develop an understanding of income and expenses / costs and basic financial capability including profit and loss as well as cashbook basic book keeping
- learn how to make business decisions
- setting goals and putting it into action
Be open to the possibility that you can start your own small business
It’s OK, we will walk you through all the steps you need to take to start your own small business. We tackle practical challenges you will face and provide lots of useful information.
This course is designed for…….
- Those who are school leavers or seeking a new career
- Those who are unemployed
- Those who have an idea for a business opportunity but are not sure how to take it forward
How do I know my business will work?
Attending a School Leavers Program will help you through the steps so you can be better informed and increase your knowledge about setting up a business. Here’s your chance to be your own boss. It’s not going to be easy but, we will help you get started and along the way. This is a good opportunity to explore self-employment.
How do I know I am ready?
Running a business can be challenging. If you are passionate, prepared to make changes, ready to take risks and open to learning new skills, then this is for you.
Young Farmers – Jessie & Peter
Introducing Nga Katu, a farming business venture by two young entrepreneurs known as Jessie Toru and Peter Toru from Avatiu village.
School Leavers program includes:
- Introduction to the Course
- Testing my business idea – I have a business idea but how do I know it will work?
- Exploring advantages and disadvantages of self-employment
- Where do you start? Starting your business with a plan
- Steps to getting started from choosing your business structure
- Selling your products / services so you can make money
- Hear from other business owners – how they went through business challenges and what makes them successful
- Understanding income and expenses
- Reviewing the Business One Stop Shop – The Business Guide. Defining a business owners responsibilities
- Setting goals and creating an action plan
- Start up capital – starting your business with or without money upfront.
Group participation is required. You must attend all of the sessions.